It is important to vote on June 3, 2008 on these two critical propositions that will directly affect any renter in California – including mobile home owners who “rent” the land their mobile home sits on.
VOTE NO on Prop 98: The California Property Owner & Farmland Protection Act (CPOFPA) is being promoted as an eminent domain proposition only ( the right of a government to take, or to authorize the taking of private property for public use.) HOWEVER, there is a ‘hidden agenda’ in this initiative to abolish rent control and gut the laws that protect renters in California. It is being supported by the Howard Jarvis Tax Association, and the LARGEST SUPPORTER (BY DONATIONS) ARE THE MOBILE HOME PARK OWNERS at 44%, Apartment Owners at 41% (a total of 85%!), Calif. Farm Bureau at 10%, and misc donations.
It is documented that the Western Manufactured Housing Communities donated $154,020.71 to Prop 98, and the management company, Sierra Corporate Management has donated at least $35,000 that has been tracked so far. (I obtained the above statistics from Bicker, Castillo, & Fairbanks.) This gives us an idea how important this is to them to get Prop 98 passed. VOTE NO on PROP 98. IT IS NOT IN OUR BEST INTERESTS!
NO on PROP 98:
– Masquerades as Eminent Domain reform
– Carries hidden agenda of eliminating rent control upon resale
– Destroys value of mobile homes
– Allows park owner initiated condo conversions of MHPs
– Outlaws local affordable housing ‘inclusionary’ zoning requirements
– Contains poorly drafted provisions that could stop future water projects
– AND destroy local land-use planning and erode environmental protections.
YES on PROP 99 (Homeowner’s Protection Act – HOPA):
– A grass-roots effort with well over 1 million signatures to qualify a ‘clean’ eminent domain proposition on the June 3rd ballot. This is supported by GSMOL, Comocal, Neighborhood Friends, the League of California Cities, and many senior organizations. My opinion is this, it’s not perfect but it is better than anything we have in place now.
IMPORTANT: IF BOTH PASS, THE ONE WITH THE MOST VOTES WINS –
So NO on PROP 98, YES on 99
Members of the NO on 98/YES on 99 coalition, which includes the Coalition for Economic Survival, have just filed a lawsuit in Sacramento Co. Superior Court, asking a judge to change the official title of Prop 98 to include mention of the measure’s rent control provisions!